Understanding about the concept of LAN topologies
I will explain this concept with the help of an example which was my assignment during MCS 3rd Semester.
XYZ Company has two offices in Multan. Each office has 40 systems. Network administrator want to connect both offices, as for as he has no budget issues. Following queries required to be solved:
- Which cable is suitable for networking? With Reasoning.
- Which network Topology will be used with in the office and why?
- Which network Topology will be used for connecting two offices and why?
- Which network device will be used to connect two offices?
Last updated: March 19, 2014
- Which cable is suitable for networking?
Shortly: 10base-T for within office and optical fibers or 1000BaseT to connect two offices.Detailed:
10base-T cable is suitable to connect 40 systems with a hub inside office and same with the other one. But to connect both offices it will be good to fiber optical or 1000base-T because 40+40 systems will consume much bandwidth and less than these 2 suggest won’t server better and when network administrator has no budget issues so optical fibers or 1000Base-T will be suitable for this.
- Which network Topology will be used with in the office and why?Shortly: Logically star topologyDetailed:
Logically star topology will be used with in the office because physically star topology will apply some restrictions and this will increase the cost as well. But as we are going to use 10base-T wiring so wiring is basically logically start topology.
- Which network Topology will be used for connecting two offices and why?Shortly: Logically star topologyDetailed:
When we connect two networks so the resulting network topology will be the same from which topology both networks belongs. As we are using logically star topology so the resultant topology will be the start topology automatically.
On other hand if we will say that we are using two different topologies in two different networks and now going to combine them so the resultant topology will be hybrid topology.
- Which network device will be used to connect two offices?Network administrator should use Fiber Optic Extension to connect two offices if he is using optical fibers.
If he is using 1000Base-T so he will use Bridge to connect two offices.